Get ready for some healthy fall recipes! To me fall screams football, chili, tailgates, pies, and beer. None of these options are necessarily healthy, so it was time for me to brainstorm some snack ideas. First, we’ll start with homemade granola. So – here goes!
- 4 c Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 c Wheat Germ
- 1 c sunflower seeds
- 1 c chopped walnuts
- 3/4 c shredded coconut
- 1 t salt
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey
- 1 1/4 c canola oil
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine the honey, vanilla, and oil in a separate bowl. Wisk until the ingredients are thoroughly blended (this will take a couple of minutes). Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of oats and nuts.
- Mix together all of the ingredients until all of the oats are fully moistened.
- Spread the granola on an ungreased cookie sheet (mine took two cookie sheets). Press down with the back side of a spoon so that the granola is even and flat.
- Cook the granola at 350 degrees for twenty minutes. Take it out of the oven and use a fork to move the granola around so that it browns evenly. Lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees. Let cook for another 7-10 minutes or until browned to taste.
This granola is so versatile! It’s great just to snack on, in yogurt, or even to make trail mix. I took half of my batch after it was completely cooled and added craisins, extra coconut flakes, and white and milk chocolate chips. Yum. Yum.